Wednesday, December 10, 2008

SEDC electric box

(I posted this on my general blog, but should have put it here. So to make it right, Ill double post it)
Well here it is! This is the electric box that I painted. It was in a interesting location and position. A couple things changed regaurding the box since I originally drew out the design. First off, I wanted to do a large one, because thats a grand, small ones are only 500. The category I chose from was to be dedicated to a certain range of streets. All the large boxes were painted here, so thats why I got a small one. So because of that, i down geared my effort involved. Also because of the location of the box to the gate right next to it, and the shrubbery that was around it really interferred with my original design. Because one wall was now mostly obstructed, I wasn't going to paint much on that, but my design worked and flowed between 4 panels. So I adjusted my image so the kids instead on being in the middle of the square, would now sit on the corner. Also shifted my entire design half a square over to move along with the kids reposition. Also I only painted one kid as you can see.
Painting the tree, leaves and objects took the most time. Mostly it was gettting used to the viscosity of the paints. The Leaves were fun to paint once I got used the the paint, aI could do a leaf all in one stroke. That part took about 4 hours. The background I busted out in just under 2. For the lines I found these enamel paint pens. They worked much better than what I would have had to do with a paint brush. Could have helped my pinstripping skills though. So all together I guess it took me about 8 hours to paint it. I think it turned out nice. Really different from what you most often see on electric boxes.
Oh, the idea behind my drawing was chosen from the category Inspiring education. To me that is from nature/life and technology and the connection and integration of nature/organic and technology. So I have a child reading by a tree (tree of knowledge I suppose) and there are basic education building blocks things included in the tree. Also items that help with education that are technology, like computers, calculators, microscopes etc. The tree change to a more technical look, showing a sort of symbiosis between nature and technology.


you can see on this one the label that I had to keep clear because SDGE needs.






>
Here is my original drawing.

No comments: